Thursday, September 21, 2006

Danny Glover vs. The Predator vs Hugo Chavez

Where is the Predator when you really need it?

For some reason Danny Glover today helped introduce Venezuelan strongman/dictator/crazydude Hugo Chavez at a church in Harlem, NY. Glover starred in the sequal Predator II, not as good as the first movie with Arnold, but OK.

Glover's action is forcing me to do two things. First, I can no longer watch any more of his movies. Once you prove disloyal to the country that made you wealthier then you deserve to be, well that's it. This is a major bummer because I really like the Lethal Weapon series. But on the bright side this will help me avoid Mel Gibson who seems to have gone off the deep end.

Actually, there is no second thing. I was going to go into a long thought on how we must now consider Chavez even more dangerous, but on second thought, his comments in the church today were so transparent and foolish that I will just ignore him.

Here is an afterthefact full disclosure issue that needs to be covered, well not really, but it's funny.

Back in the early 1990s I managed a Hertz Car Rental branch in Manhattan. This was by far the worst job I've ever had. Customers were rude, people tried to steal stuff out of the garages, used fake credit cards and drivers licensces. So as manager I had to be aware of what was going on.

One day this very dishevelved, old looking, poorly dressed black man walked into the garage area. Homeless people were always walking in to swipe something or bug people for money. So I went out there to chase the guy away. I asked him if I could help him and he said no. Even though it did not look as if this guy had 35 cents in his pocket and to not assume to much, I asked if he was a customer looking to rent a car. He in a very slurred voice said no, he just wanted to wait around.

I said he couldn't just stand in the garage because it was not safe and would have to leave. At this point his voice cleared up a bit and so I looked more closely. Under the scraggly beard and clothes it was Danny Glover. I double checked with one of the other workers and they agreed it was him. He ended up weaving his way out of the garage and never returning.

My guess was he was a bit "under the weather" as my mother would put it and managed to wander it not quite knowing where he was.

1 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger Gregory Scoblete said...

How can you give up on the Glover oeuvre: all the Lethal Weapons, Predator 2, the Royal Tannenbaums... I'm sure he's got some other decent flicks...

If you hate on the Hollywood air heads for their political views you're stuck with the works of Bo Derrick and Charlton Heston... soylent green... it's PEOPLE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home