Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Good Parents or Bad Parents

I've used my blog in the past to rail against what I consider poor parenting and here is another case where I think a set of parents are not doing their job.

Take a look at this article and video clip on ESPN.com

Oddly, I'm not going to go on about parents letting their daughte play football. If a girl can be physically fit enough to carry a rifle in the army or fly an F/A-18 off an aircraft carrier then she can probably play football.

What gets me is this girl is 5 foot 9-inches tall and weighs 310 pounds. I'm the same height and way 115 pounds less then she does and I need to lose weight. So for a girl or a boy to carry this much weight simply can't be healthy.

What are her parents thinking? What will they think if she keels over from a heart attack on the practice field or dies of heart disease when she is 30?

ESPN should not have glorified this child. Her obesity may help her to be an offensive guard, but it is also terribly unhealthy and not something to be proud of.

2 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Disagree with ya, Doug.

She's big, sure, but she's an athlete. (525 pounds?! Holy crow!) Some people are born marathoners, some people are born sprinters, and some people are born linebackers. I think it's great that people can find the sport that challenges them and their bodies, whatever form that sport may take.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from England and have three daughters. The eldest is very overweight for her height. She was exceptionally good at sports in primary school. Unfortunately, by the time she got to Secondary school she was teased a lot. What makes it worse is that her siblings are very slim. I dont think kids are intentionally overweight. I think there are several factors involved. They often have low self esteem. I think sports and activities is an excellent idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home