Friday, December 02, 2005

Battlestar Galaticaless Fridays

We are deep in themiddle of the trough between mini-seasons of Battlestar Galactica and there is not much that can get me out of my scifi doldrums.

Battlestar and Friday nights go together like beer and potatoe chip, beer and baseball, beer and poker, well you get the idea. Battlestar and beer go great because I can drink and not worry about work the next day. The evening is exactly what is needed for the average 41 year old scifi nut with a family. It comes on late enough that the kids are in bed and, hopefully, quiet for the remainder of the night or at least for the hour that the show is on. This gives my wife and I some peace and quiet. Luckily my wife has turned out to be a fan of the show despite the fact that she is not geeky at all.

Before Star Trek Enterprise was cancelled last September Friday's were a true nirvanna. Two hours of space heaven, but now all the pressure is on Battlestar - one of the coolest names for a class of space warship if I must say so myself, and I must. Better then Star Destroyer and even how Star Trek handled the situation. I believe with the exception of the Defiant no Star Trek vessel was ever considered primarily a warship, which is ridiculous considering how many battles they took place.

But I digress.

When Battlestar starts up again in January it had better not lost its touch. Unlike the first version that ran in the late 1970s. This went from being pretty decent to hokey in 1.5 seasons.

If for some reason the show were to lose its pace then I'm going to be reduced to finding something else that goes well with beer on Friday night.

1 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger iPont said...

Unlike the first version that ran in the late 1970s. This went from being pretty decent to hokey in 1.5 seasons.

Actually, I liked the original BSG a lot when it first aired, but when the new series was premiering, they showed all of the original episodes. I would argue that the original series went from pretty decent to hokey (and unbearably corny) in about 25 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home